Hogue Ranch has run stock under the THREE QUARTER
CIRCLES brand since 1913. Coveted because it is
applied with a single branding iron, unlike newer
brands which require several irons and applications.
The brand was first registered by Maria Elmer of
Hayden, Colorado in November 1899. It was transferred
to James Norvell of Steamboat Springs in May 1914,
and although used briefly by R.E. Bird of Yampa,
was returned to Norvell who transferred it to Frank
Squire in October 1919. Squires son-in-law,
Charles Hogue, acquired it in May 1955.
THREE QUARTER CIRCLES Ranch, homesteaded near the
confluence of the Yampa and Elk Rivers in 1886,
has been in continuous use ever since. The original
log cabin, bunkhouse and sod-roofed potato cellar
have been transformed into a modern ranch home without
violating the integrity of the property. It was
named to the Routt County Register of Historic Places
in 1996. Each of the five families that ran cattle,
sheep, grain and hay operations there contributed
to the agricultural heritage of the valley.
Original homesteader William
Denison, an orphan from Vermont, came West in search
of health at the suggestion of his uncle, a Denver
physician who was one of the first to suggest climate
could cure tuberculosis. Upon his death in 1889,
books from Denisons homestead formed the basis
for the local library where they remain on display.
William Denison Homestead 1887
Duquette, a poker-playing Frenchman built
his own background running sheep and cattle
and putting up one of the largest hay and oat crops
in the valley until 1913.
James Norvell, a hell fire and brimstone preacher
made and lost several fortunes as a rancher, horsetrader,
stockholder and mayor of the Steamboat Springs Town
Frank Squire, Norvells
cattle foreman for 20 years, proved that survival
of the family farm required running cattle and sheep
on the same range, raising pedigree horses and stock,
and educating children. He married a local girl,
who helped train their string of champion relay
horses and was one of the first women to race in
local rodeos. General Pershing, his powerful gray
bucking horse, remains a rodeo legend in Northwest
Colorado. Squire acquired the ranch in 1917 and
in 1948 turned it over to his daughter Margaret
and son-in-law Charles Hogue who raised five children
Squire (January 8th, 1890 -September 28th, 1959)
was the sixth of twelve children born to Albert
Squire (April 7th, 1853 - May 25th, 1931) and Mina
L. Ingrham Squire (December 26th, 1858 - March 27th,
sailed from his birthplace of Devonshire, England
on June 5th, 1872 married Mina born in Richmond
City, Wisc. on March 1st, 1880 and homesteaded 160
acres North of Hayden, Colorado in 1884.
Albert & Mina Squire
married Annie Elizabeth Cullen daughter of Patrick
James Cullen (March 17th, 1867 - July 7th, 1937)
born in County Armagh, Ireland and Annie McGlothlin
(January 11th, 1869 - January 10th, 1943) born in
Barhead, Scotland. Patrick emigrated to the United
States from Scotland in 1884. A year later he sent
for Annie and they were married July 12th, 1885.
Two years later they homesteaded the Elk River Valley
just North of Steamboat Springs. Their homestead
is still known today as "Cullen's Corner".
Frank & Annie Elizabeth Cullen Squire
Patrick & Annie McGlothlin Cullen
Hogue (Feb. 23, 1916 - Aug. 25, 2005) son of Charles and Harriet Hogue from Meadville,
Pennsylvania joined the Tenth Mountain Division
ski troops in 1942. He came to Colorado and trained
with this legendary force at Camp Hale located at
the base of Tennessee Pass. He met Margaret Squire
on ski trips to Steamboat on days off from training.
& Margaret Hogue
Hogue, Squires grandson who majored in Animal
Sciences at CSU, has worked the ranch since 1975
with his wife Maureen. They run 80 head
of Registered Red Angus cattle, produce hay and
small grains on 1500 acres.
Mike and Maureen Photo